The Department of Civil Engineering was established in 1993 and joined the School of Engineering of the University of Thessaly. The facilities of the Department are located in the campus of Pedion Areos, in the city of Volos. The Department is temporarily hosted in a renovated factory building. However, a new building with state-of-the-art facilities is currently under construction next to the campus. Its construction commenced in November 2020.
The first academic year for the Department was 1994 – 1995. Currently, 21 Faculty members (Professors / Lecturers) and 3 permanent Teaching Staff members serve the Department, assisted by Researchers and Adjunct Professors in both the undergraduate and postgraduate programs.
The mission of the Department is:
- To offer high-quality education in the Science of Civil Engineering and provide an open and welcoming environment for our students, researchers and staff to achieve their best and reach their academic goals.
- To ensure that our students are receiving high-quality training on a wide range of topics in Civil Engineering, qualifying them with the necessary skills for employment in related fields of specialization in the public and private sector.
- To promote international mobility of students/researchers and faculty members.
- To perform cutting-edge research in all aspects of Civil Engineering, with the aim of advancing science and ensuring safety, sustainability and resilience.
- To promote national and international academic synergies.
The above targets should be fulfilled within the framework of producing and disseminating engineering knowledge, scientific research and technological innovation based on a high-quality curriculum with international standards. Moreover, the Department aims to cultivate all its members with a sense of social awareness and noble scientific rivalry, based on democratic values, freedom of ideas’ development and inspiration.
Euripidis Mistakidis (2018 - today)